Building importable _tkinter on Windows (solved)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Mar 10 19:04:43 EDT 2013

On 3/9/2013 7:41 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
> If you have tried to build _tkinter on Windows from the cpython
> repository, and have 'import tkinter' work, please share your
> experience, successful or not. I and another person have both failed.
 > [snip]

Solution from Merlijn van Deen on core-mentorship list:
Let x be the directory containing both the repository directories, such
as 'cpython' and the external dependency directories created by
external.bat. Copy
x/tcl-8.5.11.0/win/Debug_VC10/tcl85g.dll
x/tk-8.5.11.0/win/Debug_VC10/tk85g.dll
x/cpython/PCbuild

Now, 'import tkinter', and hence idle, seem to work.

--
Terry Jan Reedy