Running external module and accessing the created objects

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Mon Mar 11 22:11:24 EDT 2013

On 03/11/2013 09:23 PM, Kene Meniru wrote:
> Dave Angel wrote:
>
>> On 03/11/2013 07:57 PM, Kene Meniru wrote:
>

>> I hope you're just kidding.  execfile() and exec() are two of the most
>> dangerous mechanisms around.  import or __import__() would be much
>> better, as long as your user hasn't already run myapp.py as his script.
>>

> It does what I want. Security is another issue and I understand but can't
> help it until I find another solution.
>
> import does not do what I want.
>
> How does __import__() work and what do you mean "as long as your user hasn't
> already run myapp.py as his script."?

The __import__() function is defined
    http://docs.python.org/2/library/functions.html#__import__

appname = "myapp"
usermodule = __import__(appname, globals(), locals(), [], -1)

And now you can use usermodule as though you had imported it in the
usual way.

As for my other caveat, I've said it before in this thread.  Make sure
you don't ever load a module by more than one name, or you'll end up
with a mess.  And that includes the original script, which is loaded by
the name '__main__'

You also should avoid any circular import, as it can be very tricky to
deal with them.

--
DaveA