Running external module and accessing the created objects

Kene Meniru Kene.Meniru at illom.org
Sat Mar 9 12:21:20 EST 2013

Rick Johnson wrote:

> On Saturday, March 9, 2013 9:34:53 AM UTC-6, Kene Meniru wrote:

>  Interactive Input
>
> Create an interactive environment where the user can enter commands
> directly into the namespace using your API in real time, then when he is
> ready to see the result of those commands, he can call "display command"
> or push a "display button" and the App will run the appropriate outside
> programs to show the visualization.

>  Scripts loaded at runtime
>
> If you prefer the user to write "scripts", and then have your App read
> these scripts (and create visualizations from the commands within the
> scripts) then the only difference between step 1 and step 2 is *when* the
> commands are interpreted. In this case your app will *load* the scripts
> AFTER they are completely written (this could be done automatically by the
> app at runtime IF the path to these scripts is known, or could be
> accomplished by the user picking files in a dialog (Menu->RunScript).

Please see my last response to Dave Angel. I think it is possible for a
program to watch a file. I am not interested in menus which is why I am
going this route. I could easily use PyQt to make this but I am not
interested in graphical user interfaces. Are you are familiar with LaTeX?
That is the system I very much want to emulate.

> I think you are trying to create step 1 without the interactive
> environment. This is your mistake. Having users work with "raw files" and
> then *somehow* watching a "raw file" for certain "display commands" (in
> real time) is folly.

It is possible to watch files for changes without user intervention. If a
change is detected (whether by file size or time) the file can be executed
as all python modules can be using "python FILENAME.py". How is this folly?

My code is available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/buildes. The
documentation is at http://buildes.sourceforge.net/.

--

Kene