Running external module and accessing the created objects

Kene Meniru Kene.Meniru at illom.org
Sat Mar 9 06:05:52 EST 2013

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> What do you mean, "objects are saved in another object"?

doc.py has a dictionary. When the user describes a wall, it is passed
to the doc object to be saved in the dictionary.

> What happens if the user launches appwin with a different argument?
>
> If appwin can only take one, compulsory, argument, then it's silly
> require it as an argument. Just have appwin automatically import
user.py,
> and do whatever it needs.

I guess my description does not come across well.

I thought user.py sounded like it is, a user created file. It will be
named differently for each user to created different types of 3D
objects. It does not make sense to expect every user to name their
design file the same. So there will have to be a differently named
single argument for buildeswin.

> This makes no sense to me. Are you saying that appwin opens a text
editor
> that allows the user to edit the user.py source code?

No. appwin opens an opengl (pyglet.window.Window()) graphics window as
I mentioned.

> I don't know. How does user.py create the objects? Suppose it users
> function called "create". Then you would do this in appwin:
>

> import user
> user.create()

I have tried importing "user.py" and/or "app.py". However there is no
single command to call.

My program is designed to assist in the building design process. It is
a big program and the creation of building components takes quite a
few steps. I do not want to support these steps in a graphics window
which is why the user uses any text editor they prefer to create
"user.py". I want "appwin.py" (which has a graphics window) to be able
to access objects stored in "doc.py" (which has a dictionary) after a
command like "python user.py" so that the objects saved in "doc.py"
after execution can be retrieved and drawn in "appwin.py".

> What do you mean by "view() is encounted"?

This is a command that the user can enter in user.py. app.py will then
encounter this command as python parses the file.

> How would you access the objects stored in doc.py? Suppose you
access
> them using a list called "list_of_objects". Then in appwin.py:
>
> import doc
> for obj in doc.list_of_objects:
>     do_something_with(obj)

I have tried this but there are no objects found in the dictionary in
doc.py. I am guessing that I have to execute appwin.py so that it
shares the same namespace with user.py or maybe a way to access that
namespace. This is the reason for my question.

--

Kene
KeMeniru at gmail.com