Any other screenwriters?

Rick Dooling rpdooling at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 16:07:59 EST 2013

Hello all,

I am an amateur Python person, and I usually learn just enough to make one writing tool or another as I go, because mainly I'm a writer, not a programmer.

Recently, I've been exploring a markdown syntax called Fountain for screenwriters

http://fountain.io/syntax

https://github.com/nyousefi/Fountain

There are several apps that purportedly will allow screenwriters to convert plain text files to PDFs that follow screenwriting format. They cannot replace the $250 programs we use once production begins, but they are good enough for working drafts until production begins.

However, most of these programs are "apps" with closed GUIs, and of course I'm looking for a way to do the same thing with Python and call it from the command-line or from within Vim

To that end, I would like to take this Ruby script (which works pretty well, but throws errors in Mac OS X; some Ruby ones and some Prince ones) and convert it to Python so I can fix it myself, because I don't know Ruby at all, and would rather work in Python.

https://github.com/olivertaylor/Textplay

Any pointers?

Thanks a bunch,

Rick Dooling