debugging with idle

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Mar 6 19:17:04 EST 2013

On 3/6/2013 5:30 PM, Dirk Zabel wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to debug a script using the idle debug control. I want to
> see the current source line which is executed, so I select the "Source"
> checkbox. If I step through the program, the editor window with the
> source is popping up, but the current source line is not marked. Only If
> I activate the source window by clicking on the window top, the marker
> appears. This I have to repeat for every step: click on "step" button,
> click on source window, click on "step" button, click on source window
> ... very boring.
> The problem occurs with python 3.3 on Windows XP SP3 as well as on
> Windows 7 X64, SP1.

I use IDLE and work on IDLE issues, but have never used the debug window
before. It looks useful -- and its operation should be documented. I
believe I duplicated your report with 3.3 on win 7.

> Running python 3.2 on Ubuntu 12.4 LTE the problem does not come up. Here
> the currently executed line stays marked regardless whether the source
> window is active or not.

You changed both python version and os. Which change made the
difference? I believe I duplicated your problem also with 3.2 on win 7,
so perhaps it is the OS. If you possibly can, load 3.3 on Ubuntu and see
if you still get the correct behavior. Then open an issue on the
tracker. bugs.python.org.

--
Terry Jan Reedy