Why is Ruby on Rails more popular than Django?

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 11:19:02 EST 2013

On Thursday, March 7, 2013 10:50:52 PM UTC-6, rh wrote:
> Choices are good. [...] Having one choice is a mess. And
> look back at history and current events

Sometimes "choices" are forced upon you without your consent or even without regard for the end users' well-being. In this case "choices" are no longer "choices", they become unnecessary dead weight on the backs of users, they become malevolent multiplicities.

 Take cell phones for example.

Nobody would argue that having many different cell phones available in the marketplace, each with different capabilities, is a good thing; however, one of the downsides is that the manufactures refuse to comply with universal standards for things like "charger receptacles" and so you end up needing to buy a new charger for every new phone.

I have a box in one of my closets with probably 20 of them, and they're all different! Some have the same receptacle, but different output. Many are even from the same damn manufacturers and not transferable between different models of the same manufacture!!!

*Wise observer blubbered:* "Rick, what you describe is more a result of corporate greed than a good analogy for the ills of web programming, this is open source software, nobody is being paid. The developers are not intending to extort the lemmings under the guise of a self-induced hardware incompatibility ."

Yes you are correct, the motivation to fragment is not due to greedy wishes to become rich, no, the motivation is one of these two:

 * Selfishness: (They want to create something is "new", but
   really just the same old $hit with a different name)

 * Static stubbornness of current module developers does
   not allow for change, so they are forced to start a
   new project.

Either excuse causes damaging fragmentation of the community and the problem. It injects multiplicity and asininity. The so called "choices" (which are really the same thing with a a shiny new name tag) then become an obstacle for new users. The whole system slows to crawl, stagnates, and inevitably becomes extinct.

This is the future of Python web programming (and the language itself) if we keep refusing to change from within. Fragmentation WILL destroy us.