Why is Ruby on Rails more popular than Django?

Sven svenito at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 04:52:26 EST 2013

On 7 March 2013 09:28, Rui Maciel <rui.maciel at gmail.com> wrote:

> rusi wrote:
>
> > Anyone who's used emacs will know this as the bane of FLOSS software
> > -- 100 ways of doing something and none perfect -- IOW too much
> > spurious choice.
>

> This is a fallacy.  Just because someone claims that "there are 100 ways of
> doing something and none perfect", it doesn't mean that restricting choice
> leads to perfection.  It doesn't.  It only leads to getting stuck with a
> poor solution with no possibility of improving your life by switching to a
> better alternative.

This thread reminds me of an article I read recently:

http://rubiken.com/blog/2013/02/11/web-dev-a-crazy-world.html

It's mostly a matter of having enough time to evaluate what's best for you.
In the case of RoR vs Django, you will (assuming zero knowledge) need to
learn a language, then a framework. That's quite a time consuming task.
Personally I've opted for Django because I've used Python for years. I've
written some Ruby in the past, but I not enough to make me choose RoR over
Django to get stuff done.

--
./Sven