Why is Ruby on Rails more popular than Django?

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 21:58:12 EST 2013

On Mar 6, 11:03 pm, Jason Hsu <jhsu802... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm currently in the process of learning Ruby on Rails.  I'm going through the Rails for Zombies tutorial, and I'm seeing the power of Rails.
>
> I still need to get a Ruby on Rails site up and running for the world to see.  (My first serious RoR site will profile mutual funds from a value investor's point of view.)
>
> I have an existing web site and project called Doppler Value Investing (dopplervalueinvesting.com) that uses Drupal to display the web pages and Python web-scraping scripts to create *.csv and *.html files showing information on individual stocks.  My site has a tacked-on feel to it, and I definitely want to change the setup.
>
> At a future time, I will rebuild my Doppler Value Investing web site in either Ruby on Rails or Django.  The Ruby on Rails route will require rewriting my Python script in Ruby.  The Django route will require learning Django.  (I'm not sure which one will be easier.)
>
> My questions:
> 1.  Why is Ruby on Rails much more popular than Django?

"Where there is choice there is no freedom"
http://www.jiddu-krishnamurti.net/en/1954/1954-03-03-jiddu-krishnamurti-8th-public-talk

Python-for-web offered so much choice -- zope, django, turbogears,
cherrypy, web.py etc etc -- that the newbie was completely drowned.
With Ruby there is only one choice to make -- choose Ruby and rails
follows.

Anyone who's used emacs will know this as the bane of FLOSS software
-- 100 ways of doing something and none perfect -- IOW too much
spurious choice.

GvR understood and rigorously implemented a dictum that Nicklaus Wirth
formulated decades ago -- "The most important thing about language
design is what to leave out." Therefore Python is a beautiful
language.  Unfortunately the same leadership did not carry over to web
frameworks and so we have a mess.

I guess the situation is being corrected with google putting its
artillery behind django.