Why is Ruby on Rails more popular than Django?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Mar 6 18:58:07 EST 2013

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 10:03:14 -0800, Jason Hsu wrote:

> My questions:
> 1.  Why is Ruby on Rails much more popular than Django? 2.  Why is there
> a much stronger demand for Ruby on Rails developers than Django/Python
> developers?

Fashion.

Demand for technology is usually driven more by copying what everyone
else does than by merit.

Consider: Fred is a busy manager who has to start a new website and is
dissatisfied with the technology he's previously been using. Does he have
time to learn Ruby on Rails, Django, CherryPy, Drupal, and thirty other
web technologies, to systematically and objectively decide on the best
language for the website? Of course not. Even evaluating *two*
technologies is probably beyond his time or budget constraints. So he
does a search on the Internet, or reads trade magazines, or asks his
peers, to find out what everyone else is doing, then copies them.

"Oh, they're using Ruby on Rails, it must be good." So now he decides to
use Ruby on Rails, advertises for RoR developers, and the cycle continues.

But is RoR actually better for his specific situation? Doubtful.
Presumably RoR is better for *some* specific jobs. At some point, early
in RoR's history, it must have been a *good* solution. But unlikely to be
the *best* solution, just better than whatever people were using before.

And so RoR will be the easy choice, not the best choice, until such time
as RoR is no longer satisfying developers. And then there will be a
sudden, and random, phase-change to some other tool, which will become
the next easy choice.

> 3.  If Doppler Value Investing were your project instead of
> mine, would you recommend the Ruby on Rails route or the Django route?

Neither. I'd be rather tempted to try doing it in CherryPy. But then,
what do I know, I'm just as much a follow of fashion as the next guy.

--
Steven