Why is Ruby on Rails more popular than Django?

Tim Johnson tim at akwebsoft.com
Wed Mar 6 21:55:12 EST 2013

* Albert Hopkins <marduk at letterboxes.org> [130306 17:14]:

> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013, at 02:16 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:
>
> >   I had problems getting django to work on my hostmonster account
> >   which is shared hosting and supports fast_cgi but not wsgi. I put
> >   that effort on hold for now, as it was just R&D for me, but
> >   I would welcome you to take a look at this link where I opened a
> >   ticket.
> >   https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/19970
> >   From what I inferred there and from the django ML, the django
> >   "community" is indifferent to fastcgi and the shared hosting
> >   environment. As someone is new to shared hosting environments (I
> >   would mostly on dedicated servers) I get the impression that
> >   django is cutting itself out of some (if not a lot) of the market.
> >   I don't know about RoR tho....
>
> I haven't any experience with shared hosting, so can't help you there.
> I did do some work with lighttpd and fast_cgi and the Django docs worked
> fine for that.  But you're right. wsgi is pretty much the standard for
> web services in Python, like DB API is to relational database access.
> Ruby has Rack. Python has WSGI.

  I believe that indifference on the part of Python to fastcgi is a
  self-inflicted wound. I don't believe that there is any good
  excuse for such indifference, except for a sort of bureaucratic
  inertia. It's sad, when you consider how well python is designed
  and how crappily PHP is designed and how easy it is to set up and
  deploy drupal in the same environment. I speak from my own
  experience.

  respectfully :
--
Tim