Config & ConfigParser

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Mar 5 22:31:09 EST 2013

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 12:09:38 -0800, Chuck wrote:

> I'm curious about using configuration files.  Can someone tell me how
> they are used?   I'm writing a podcast catcher and would like to set up
> some default configurations, e.g. directory, etc    Other than default
> directory, what are some of the things that are put in a configuration
> file?   They don't seem to teach you this kind of stuff in school.  :(

I think that you are doing this backwards. You shouldn't start with a
question:

"I want a configuration file! What should I put in it?"

and then try to invent a need for configuration settings to put in the
file. You start with the need, and end with the conclusion:

"I need these configuration settings. I'll put them in a config file."

What configuration settings does your podcast catcher software need? What
makes you think it needs any? Don't over-engineer your application from
the start. Begin with the simplest thing that works, and go from there.

--
Steven