collaborative editing environments

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Tue Mar 5 13:38:08 EST 2013

On 03/05/2013 12:56 PM, Eric Johansson wrote:
> I finally have an intern helping me with my various accessibility
> projects. We need to do pair programming so he can write the code in my
> head that I can't express by broken hand or speech recognition (yet).
>
> The best technique with come up with so far is to use putty sessions
> with the same layout and use dtach into one emacs.

Nonideal but it kind
> of sort of works after fashion. we are constrained that neither of us
> will poke holes in our firewalls to allow a peer-to-peer system to work
> so we will need a third system intermediary.

Call that intermediary the "host" machine.

If host is running on a Linux box, you could run 'screen' or one of its
variants (such as tmux).  Screen lets you have multiple consoles run
through one ssh session, and presents them on your remote as one
console.  Keystrokes let you switch which console you're connected to at
the moment.  And another user can be given permissions to see exactly
the same screen session.  So you can chat on one console, and emacs on
another, all within the same screen.  Naturally, you can run multiple
screens, on independent ssh sessions, if that suits you better.

No experience accessing it from Windows, but putty will probably do it.

I've done remote collaboration this way, while using a satellite
connection that's hopeless for gui environments.

You might also want to check out synergy, which manages remote keyboard,
mouse and clipboard for Linux.

--
DaveA