Encoding problem in python

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Mar 4 05:18:33 EST 2013

On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 01:37:42 -0800, yomnasalah91 wrote:

> I have a problem with encoding in python 27 shell.
>
> when i write this in the python shell:
>
> w=u'العربى'
>
> It gives me the following error:
>
> Unsupported characters in input
>
> any help?

Firstly, please show the COMPLETE error, including the full traceback.
Python errors look like (for example):

py> x = ord(100)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: ord() expected string of length 1, but int found

Copy and paste the complete traceback.

Secondly, please describe your environment:

- What operating system and version are you using? Linux, Windows, Mac
OS, something else? Which version or distro?

- Which console or terminal application? E.g. cmd.exe (Windows), konsole,
xterm, something else?

- Which shell? E.g. the standard Python interpreter, IDLE, bpython,
something else?

My guess is that this is not a Python problem, but an issue with your
console. You should always have your console set to use UTF-8, if
possible. I expect that your console is set to use a different encoding.
In that case, see if you can change it to UTF-8. For example, using Gnome
Terminal on Linux, I can do this:

py> w = u'العربى'
py> print w
العربى

and it works fine, but if I change the encoding to WINDOWS-1252 using the
"Set character encoding" menu command, the terminal will not allow me to
paste the string into the terminal.

--
Steven