How to install development package on linux?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 11:26:40 EST 2013

On 03/02/2013 11:39 PM, Sarbjit singh wrote:
> Yes, I configured the makefile for mod_wsgi as without any error :
>  ./configure --prefix=/opt/lampp/ --with-apxs=/opt/lampp/bin/apxs --with-python=/opt/lampp/python/bin/python2.7 --with-mutex-dir=/opt/lampp/var/run/wsgi

This is not quite right.  the --with-python option should point to the
python install path, not the python binary itself.  It probably should be:

--with-python=/opt/lampp/python

Presuming that's what you used as a prefix when you built and installed
python 2.7.

When installing from source code, there's no such thing as a
"development package."  Tarballs nominally install binaries, libraries,
and header files, which is the equivalent of a Red Hat rpm plus the
devel rpm.  In other words when you did a "make install" everything you
need to compile against python 2.7 is installed to the prefix you used.