[Python-ideas] string.format() default variable assignment

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Mar 4 21:42:07 EST 2013

On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 11:09:10 -0500, David Robinow wrote:

>   But here's what I don't understand. Why does somebody who posts as
> much as Steven (and thanks for that. Getting cussed at occasionally is a
> cheap price for all the free advice) not set up a simple mail filter
> which trashes all mail from python-list. Wouldn't that solve the
> problem?  Or am I misunderstanding something?

When I'm working in my backyard garden, it's a real drag to put garden
refuse into the green waste bin for collection. I have to cut it up into
manageable-sized pieces, put them in a big carry bag, carry it through
the house, then empty the bag into the green waste collection bin the
local council supplies. What a drag! Maybe I should have thought of this
before moving into my house, but I'm stuck with it now, moving to a new
house would be difficult and expensive. Besides, apart from this one
little difficulty, I like it here. Since I have all sorts of good excuses
why doing the right thing is too much trouble, I just toss any plant
trimmings over the fence into my neighbour's yard. It's easy for him to
deal with it, all he has to do is get a goat to eat the garden waste I
toss over the fence, and his problem is solved.

I'm actually doing him a favour by tossing my garden trimmings into his
yard. If he doesn't get a goat, the trimmings will rot and turn into
compost, which improves the soil in his garden. He'll thank me some day.

I really don't understand why he thinks I'm being rude. He should be
grateful, not upset. If anyone is being rude, it's him, expecting me to
carry all that garden waste through the house into the collection bin.
Doesn't he understand how hard that is for me?

--
Steven