Having problems crashing IDLE

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Fri Mar 1 03:00:40 EST 2013

Quintessence wrote:

> I've been learning Python over the past week or so and I keep running into
> an issue where opening saved files will crash IDLE (not consistently,
> sometimes the same files with no changes will open and sometimes not). I
> was originally running Python 3.2.3, but I removed it and upgraded to
> 3.3.0 hoping to resolve the issue (but to no avail). While
> troubleshooting, someone suggested I try opening IDLE via command prompt.
> When I do that IDLE never crashes, but It does show this error
> (screenshot): http://i.imgur.com/1JqiRsY.png (3.2.3)
> http://i.imgur.com/5KxE88K.png (3.3.0)

Your posts are easier to deal with if you provide tracebacks as text.
Here's what I get:

Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.3/tkinter/__init__.py", line 1442, in
__call__
    return self.func(*args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.3/idlelib/MultiCall.py", line 174, in handler
    doafterhandler.pop()()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.3/idlelib/MultiCall.py", line 221, in
<lambda>
    doit = lambda: self.bindedfuncs[triplet[2]][triplet[0]].remove(func)
ValueError: list.remove(x): x not in list

> Some additional info:
> - When IDLE crashes it does not display an error, every open window simply
> closes. - IDLE has never crashed after opening a file when I open it via
> command prompt, even if it was previously consistently displaying that
> behavior. - I am running Windows 7 x64 with all updates.
>
> Has anyone ever encountered this? What does the error mean?

This looks like the following bug:

http://bugs.python.org/issue8900

You might be able to work around it by selecting the

"At Startup Open Shell Window" option under

Options-->Configure IDLE-->General-->Startup Preferences