Speeding up Python's exit

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Mar 1 14:10:53 EST 2013

Grant Edwards <invalid <at> invalid.invalid> writes:

> > I assume that the memory used by the Python process will be reclaimed
> > by the operating system, but other resources such as opened files may
> > not be.
>
> All open files (including sockets, pipes, serial ports, etc) will be
> flushed (from an OS standpoint) and closed.

According to POSIX, no, open files will not be flushed:

“The _Exit() and _exit() functions shall not call functions registered with
atexit() nor any registered signal handlers. Open streams shall not be flushed.
Whether open streams are closed (without flushing) is implementation-defined.”

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/_exit.html

(under the hood, os._exit() calls C _exit())

Regards

Antoine.