Do you feel bad because of the Python docs?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Mar 6 20:52:59 EST 2013

On 3/6/2013 7:47 PM, Rick Johnson wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 5:50:35 PM UTC-6, Terry Reedy wrote:
>
>> If you find a bug in this documentation or would like to propose an
>> improvement, please send an e-mail to docs at python.org describing the bug
>> and where you found it. If you have a suggestion how to fix it, include
>> that as well.
>
> That's great Terry, but how will the next person find the link?

The same way I did. Go to http://docs.python.org/3/ (or /2/ and click on
Reporting bugs, which takes one to the above and more.

 > I went to Python.org and i did not see it on the home page, nor the
doc page...

Which doc page?

 > How much longer are we going to "treat the symptoms"

We would VERY MUCH like a system to make it easier for readers to report
doc bugs and developers to fix them. No one yet has come up with both a
reasonable idea and workable implementation. Here is an idea I just came
up with.

*Someone* writes javascript that allows the following: Reader using the
web version sees a mistake, selects some text with the mistake, right
clicks, selects 'Suggest correction', gets a box or form with the
selected text, page and location or context info, and a text entry box.
Reader enters correction in text box and clicks OK. Message is emailed
or posted to python.org.

*Someone* writes a python script to process reports by generating a
proposed patch for human review.

--
Terry Jan Reedy