Do you feel bad because of the Python docs?

Michael Ross gmx at ross.cx
Wed Mar 6 21:04:29 EST 2013

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 02:28:10 +0100, Chris Kaynor
<ckaynor at zindagigames.com> wrote:

> I actually just tried that, and the results weren't very good.
>
> Using the doc's search feature, the "Reporting Bugs" (and the "About
> these documents") page >was significantly down the page (about 2/3 of
> the way) - not the most obvious result in the pile. All the >other
> searches I could think of either didn't return either of those pages at
> all, or they were also 1/2-2/3 >of the way down the page.

Using Google it took me about 3 seconds to find the page.

"python report doc bug".

Works with Bing or DuckDuckGo too. First hit on either engine.

The doc's search is ... fine if I search for e. g. 'subprocess.Popen',
but near-useless for general searches.

> The link is also on the main documentation page, but it is, again, near
> the bottom, making it hidden from >many users. Both of them show up just
> above the bottom of the window with it maximized on my screen.
>

> The first of the issues may be difficult to fix,

Is it?
You'd just have to have an additional search box labeld "search whole page
with google/bing/whatever" (?)