MeCab UTF-8 Decoding Problem

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Jun 29 11:55:41 EDT 2013

On 6/29/2013 11:32 AM, Terry Reedy wrote:

>>> I am trying to use a program called MeCab, which does syntax analysis
>>> on Japanese text.
>
> It is generally nice to give a link when asking about 3rd party
> software.  https://code.google.com/p/mecab/
> In this case, nearly all the non-boilerplate text is Japanese ;-(.

My daughter translated the summary paragraph for me.

MeCab is an open source morphological analysis open source engine
developed through a collaborative unit project between Kyoto
University's Informatics Research Department and Nippon Telegraph and
Telephone Corporation Communication Science Laboratories. Its
fundamental premise is a design which is general-purpose and not reliant
on a language, dictionary, or corpus. It uses Conditional Random Fields
(CRF) for the estimation of the parameters, and has improved performance
over ChaSen, which uses a hidden Markov model. In addition, on average
it is faster than ChaSen, Juman, and KAKASI. Incidentally, the creator's
favorite food is mekabu (thick leaves of wakame, a kind of edible
seaweed, from near the root of the stalk).

--
Terry Jan Reedy