Closures in leu of pointers?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat Jun 29 21:41:02 EDT 2013

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 14:42:58 -0500, Tim Chase wrote:

> On 2013-06-29 19:19, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> Nobody ever asks why Python doesn't let you sort an int, or take the
>> square of a list...
>
> just to be ornery, you can sort an int:

> '112345569'
>
> And I suppose, depending on how you define it, you can square a list:

Yeah, but my point is that nobody ever *asks* how to do it, because they
don't confuse the two concepts. Those who have some need for sorting the
digits of an int-as-string work out how to solve the problem without
asking.

And you'll note I didn't say that nobody confuses an int and a string.
That was no accident :-)

--
Steven