Closures in leu of pointers?

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Sat Jun 29 13:02:01 EDT 2013

Op 29-06-13 16:02, Michael Torrie schreef:

> The real problem here is that you don't understand how python variables
> work.  And in fact, python does not have variables.  It has names that
> bind to objects.

I don't understand why members of this list keep saying this. Sure the
variables in python behave differently than those in C and algol  But
they behave similarly as those in smalltalk and lisp and I haven't seen
anyone claim that smalltalk and lisp don't have variables.

We might as well say that C doesn't have variables, it has names
pointing to memory locations or value containers or something
like that.

AFAICS there is no reason why "variable" wouldn't be appropiate
for python names as opposed to C names.

--
Antoon Pardon