Why is the argparse module so inflexible?

Marcin Szamotulski mszamot at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 08:38:00 EDT 2013

On 05:28 Sat 29 Jun     , Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 18:36:37 -0700, Ethan Furman wrote:
>
> > On 06/27/2013 03:49 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> >>
> >> [rant]
> >> I think it is lousy design for a framework like argparse to raise a
> >> custom ArgumentError in one part of the code, only to catch it
> >> elsewhere and call sys.exit. At the very least, that OUGHT TO BE A
> >> CONFIG OPTION, and OFF BY DEFAULT.
>
> [emphasis added]
>
> >> Libraries should not call sys.exit, or raise SystemExit. Whether to
> >> quit or not is not the library's decision to make, that decision
> >> belongs to the application layer. Yes, the application could always
> >> catch SystemExit, but it shouldn't have to.
> >
> > So a library that is explicitly designed to make command-line scripts
> > easier and friendlier should quit with a traceback?
> >
> > Really?
>
> Yes, really.
>
> Tracebacks are not that unfriendly, generally speaking. In my experience,
> the average non-technical person is no more confused and distressed by a
> traceback extending over thirty lines than they are by a one line error
> message. As the developer, I should see the tracebacks by default[1]. If
> I want to suppress or simplify them, then I should take explicit steps to
> do so, either by catching the exception and calling sys.exit myself, or
> at least by setting a runtime config option to the library.
>
> This also allows me to enable debugging in my app by showing tracebacks,
> or disable it by hiding them. That should be my decision, not the
> library. If the library catches exceptions then exits, throwing away
> potentially useful information, that makes it difficult to debug anything
> relying on the library.
>
> I'm willing to concede that, just maybe, something like argparse could
> default to "catch exceptions and exit" ON rather than OFF.
>

> [1] There's something in the Zen of Python about that...
>

> --
> Steven
> --

Although I got confused at the first time I was using argparse (or
optparse which is now obsolte and also has this feature), I see the
value when you write scripts.  It is mostly annoying when playing with
it in a console, but there is a very easy (but partial) fix for that:
just subclass argparse.ArgumentParser:

import sys
class ArgumentParser(argparse.ArgumentParser):
    def  exit(self, status=0, message=None):
        if message:
            self._print_message(message, sys.stderr)

now the parser will not exit, though there is no ease fix to get the
traceback: self.exit() is called in various places sometimes inside
a try block.

Best regards,
Marcin http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list