looking for a linguistical/semiotic quote

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 07:14:04 EDT 2013

I am looking for a quote
(from Whorf/Sapir/Wittgenstein/Humboldt dunno... that 'school')

It goes something like this:

What characterizes a language is not what we can say in it but what we must -- like it or not -- say.

A demo of this is D Hofstadter's
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/purity.html
which by inverting sexist/racist assumptions in English, makes for a hilarious read.

No I am not talking politics here, just want some references for a programming course in which I want to point out that

- C programmers need to talk memory-mgmt whether they want to or not
- Java programmers need to talk objects/classes likewise
etc

I believe I may have seen that quote here so asking...