Limit Lines of Output

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Jun 26 19:57:40 EDT 2013

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:09:13 -0700, rusi wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:54:56 PM UTC+5:30, Joshua Landau wrote:
>> On 25 June 2013 22:48, Gene Heskett  wrote:
>> > On Tuesday 25 June 2013 17:47:22 Joshua Landau did opine:
>>
>> I did not.
>
> I guess Joshua is saying that saying ≠ opining

But it is. From WordNet:

opine
    v 1: express one's opinion openly and without fear or
         hesitation; "John spoke up at the meeting" [syn: opine,
         speak up, speak out, animadvert, sound off]

Admittedly we cannot tell what Joshua's mental state was at the time he
responded to Bryan, he may have been absolutely terrified for all we
know, but there's no sign of this fear, and no reason to think that he
hesitated, given that his response came through a mere nine minutes after
Bryan's comment.

Or if you prefer the Collaborative International Dictionary of English:

Opine \O*pine"\, v. t. & i. [imp. & p. p. Opined; p. pr. & vb.
   n. Opining.] [L. opinari, p. p. opinatus; akin to opinus
   (in comp.) thinking, and perh. to E. apt: cf. F. opiner.]
   To have an opinion; to judge; to think; to suppose. --South.
   [1913 Webster]

> [Or is he opining?]

That's just his opinion, man.

*wink*