Inconsistency on getting arguments

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Tue Jun 25 10:17:23 EDT 2013

On 06/25/2013 09:55 AM, Peter Otten wrote:
> Marco Perniciaro wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I've been working with Python for a long time.
>> Yet, I came across an issue which I cannot explain.
>>
>> Recently I have a new PC (Windows 7).
>> Previously I could call a Python script with or without the "python" word
>> at the beginning. Now the behavior is different if I use or not use the
>> "python" prefix!
>>
>> I only have Python 2.7 installed and the path in in my environment
>> variable. I create a simple file called "example.py" which contains two
>> lines:
>>
>>        import sys
>>        print sys.argv
>>
>> This is the output result:
>>
>>        C:\Users\mapr>example.py a b c
>>        ['C:\\Users\\mapr\\example.py']
>>
>>        C:\Users\mapr>python example.py a b c
>>        ['example.py', 'a', 'b', 'c']
>>
>> Can someone please explain?
>
> I'm not a Windows user, but I'd try
>
> http://docs.python.org/2/using/windows.html#executing-scripts
>
> with python.exe instead of pythonw.exe. Maybe the %* is missing.

I'm not a Windows user either (at least for quite a while).  But I'd
investigate with assoc and ftype and see that the ftype includes the
trailing %* parameter.  Do not mess with .pyw and  pythonw, as they are
both for GUI programs, and you're doing a console program.

I think if you type ftype it'll list them all.  So if you grep that, you
should be able to find the line for  Python.File   And yeah, you can
probably tell ftype to just display that line, but I don't have a system
to try it on, or even to use /? on, so I'm not going to issue unsafe advice.

If the ftype and/or assoc are incorrect, I've been told that it should
be fixed in the registry, not using those two commands.  Something about
applying to all users instead of just the currently logged in one.  But
I'd have to experiment to figure out just how, and I don't have common
access to such a system.

--
DaveA