Unable to import NHunspell.dll using ctypes in Python

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Tue Jun 25 09:55:26 EDT 2013

On 06/25/2013 03:54 AM, Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> wrote:
>> You're on Linux or similar, and dll's are the way a Windows executable is
>> named.
>
> dll’s are libraries for windows, not executables (/lib not /bin)
>
>> Try going back to where you downloaded this file, and see if you can get the
>> one for your OS.
>
> That is not necessary.  Because it is a sane OS, it is likely that
> hunspell is packaged in the repositories of OP’s system, and might be
> even installed there.  And if the package is installed, hunspell
> should reside in /usr/lib/libhunspell.so or a similar place.

Sorry, since I was talking about a DLL, I used Microsoft's terminology.
  Certainly in Unix terms, a DLL is roughly equivalent to a shared library.

DLL is one of the dozens of file extensions commonly used for Microsoft
executables, or PE files.  Microsoft doesn't generally make the
distinction between an executable which can be called from the command
line and one which can only be used with LoadLibraryEx().  In common
use, only the "main" executable of a program will have an entry point,
but both common types may be used for library code.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg463119.aspx

As for finding it in the repository, you're certainly right.  I had
naiively assumed that the OP would have looked there first, and wouldn't
be in this state if it were in the repository (eg. Synaptic).  It is in
Ubuntu 12.04.

--
DaveA