Unable to import NHunspell.dll using ctypes in Python

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Tue Jun 25 03:45:42 EDT 2013

On 06/25/2013 03:32 AM, akshay.ksth at gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Mark. I did what you suggested.
> But now I'm getting an error like this.
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "start.py", line 15, in <module>
>      hunspell = cdll.LoadLibrary('/home/kuro/Desktop/notepad/Hunspellx64.dll')
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/ctypes/__init__.py", line 443, in LoadLibrary
>      return self._dlltype(name)
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/ctypes/__init__.py", line 365, in __init__
>      self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
> OSError: /home/kuro/Desktop/notepad/Hunspellx64.dll: invalid ELF header
>
> I am really new to using ctypes and dll files. Can you please guide me out.

This is why it's frequently useful to supply the information with your
original question:  what version of Python, and what OS.

You're on Linux or similar, and dll's are the way a Windows executable
is named.  So chances are you're trying to install a Windows dll on
Linux, which is unlikely to work except under very special circumstances
(eg. within WINE).

Try going back to where you downloaded this file, and see if you can get
the one for your OS.

--
DaveA