io module and pdf question

jyoung79 at kc.rr.com jyoung79 at kc.rr.com
Tue Jun 25 12:15:20 EDT 2013

Thank you Rusi and Christian!

So it sounds like I should read the pdf data in as binary:

--------------------
import os

pdfPath = '~/Desktop/test.pdf'

colorlistData = ''

with open(os.path.expanduser(pdfPath), 'rb') as f:
    for i in f:
        if 'XYZ:colorList' in i:
            colorlistData = i.split('XYZ:colorList')[1]
            break

print(colorlistData)

This gives me the error:
TypeError: Type str doesn't support the buffer API

I admit I know nothing about binary, except it's ones and zeroes.  Is there a way to read it in as binary, convert it to ascii/unicode, and then somehow split it by newline characters so that I can pull the appropriate metadata lines out?  For example, XYZ:colorList="DarkBlue,Yellow"

Thanks!

Jay