Python development tools

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 23:03:18 EDT 2013

On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:09:19 AM UTC+5:30, MRAB wrote:

> And convenience for the programmer.
>
> """Manipulating long texts using variable-length strings? Yes, I know
> it's inefficient, but it's still faster than doing it by hand!"""

Well... did not say it because it tends to be emotionally charged :-)
C programmers find C convenient.
Haskell programmers find monads convenient
Python programmers are (increasingly) finding OOP convenient

> Automating tasks, e.g. controlling other applications and stringing
> together tasks that you would otherwise be doing by hand.

Yes scripting is more programmer oriented as against GUIs which are more user oriented.
Related: scripting is more FP-ish, whereas GUIs are more OOP-ish.
A shell pipeline is really function composition in different syntax and a back-quoted command is close to a higher-order function.
By contrast a windows user clicks on a 'doc' and it just 'opens'
Many of them dont exactly know the diff between a doc and MsWord.
And even a supposed programmer (like yours truly) has a hell of a time finding the executable when needed.