Python development tools

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun Jun 23 20:28:03 EDT 2013

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 13:40:07 -0700, cutems93 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to python development and I want to know what kinds of tools
> people use for python development. I went to Python website and found
> several tools.
[snip list of a dozen tools]
> What else do I need?

You don't *need* any of these. You only *need* two things to write Python
code: something to edit text files, and the Python interpreter to check
that the code runs correctly. Everything else is optional.

Rather than try to predict ahead of time every possible thing you need,
you should start small, and as you discover a new requirement, then
investigate. Why spend hours, days or weeks investigating refactoring
tools only to find that after 15 years of programming you've never once
used it?

> Also, which software is used in daily base? I know
> version control software and bug tracking software are used almost
> everyday by developers. Which software is used less often?

With respect, that's a silly question. It depends on what you do, and how
often you do it. If you distribute a new version of your software every
day, then you will use a distribution tool every day. If you do it once a
year, then you use distribution tool once a year.

> Also, I will use GUI interface for Python. What kind of widget toolkits
> do you recommend? I know there are GTK+ and Qt.

tkinter comes supplied with Python. So long as you have tcl/tk installed,
which nearly all Linux distros do, it should just work out of the box.

--
Steven