Python development tools

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Jun 23 19:49:47 EDT 2013

In article <263da442-0c87-41df-9118-6003c616895c at googlegroups.com>,
 rurpy at yahoo.com wrote:

> > 1. Automated Refactoring Tools
>  I wish.

Why?  I've never seen the appeal of these.  I do plenty of refactoring.
It's unclear to me what assistance an automated tool would provide.

> > 2. Bug Tracking
>  This is not really Python specific so any bug tracking tool
>  you want to use will work.  There are several written in Python.
>  The Python (cpython) project uses one called Roundup.

Pick a bug tracker because its features fit your requirements, not what
language it's written in.

We've been using Asana (https://asana.com) for a while.  I can't say I'm
in love with it, but it's worth looking at.  It's intended more as a
project planner, but the dividing line between project planning and bug
tracking is a bit hazy.

> > 10. Test Software
>  Python comes with modules that will assist you in writing
>  your own tests, most notable unittest and doctest.

I resisted nose (https://nose.readthedocs.org/) for quite a while, but I
started using it in the past year and I'm slowly becoming addicted to
it.  At this point, I would only recommend unittest to somebody who was
coming from an Xunit/Junit background and wanted something with the same
look and feel.