What is the semantics meaning of 'object'?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Jun 24 19:51:27 EDT 2013

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 08:58:23 -0700, Mark Janssen wrote:

>>> Mostly I'm saying that super() is badly named.
>>
>> What else would you call a function that does lookups on the current
>> object's superclasses?
>
> ^.  You make a symbol for it.  ^__init__(foo, bar)

If you want Perl, you can find it here:

http://www.perl.org/

Or even more scary:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APL_syntax_and_symbols

^ won't do the job, because it's already used for bitwise-xor. I suppose
that *technically* it could be used as either a binary or unary operator,
like +, -, *, **, but I don't think it could be used as both an operator
and an identifier.

--
Steven