n00b question on spacing

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Sat Jun 22 19:28:52 EDT 2013

On 06/22/2013 07:12 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 1:24 AM, Rick Johnson
> <rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>    _fmtstr = "Item wrote to MongoDB database {0}, {1}"
>>    msg = _fmtstr.format(_arg1, _arg2)
>
> As a general rule, I don't like separating format strings and their
> arguments. That's one of the more annoying costs of i18n. Keep them in
> a single expression if you possibly can.

On the contrary, i18n should be done with config files.  The format
string is the key to the actual string which is located in the
file/dict.  Otherwise you're shipping separate source files for each
language -- blecch.

The program that's intended to be internationalized is written using
"programmereze" strings.  That's a strange inhuman language that's only
approximately comprehensible by the developer and close associates.
Then that gets translated into a bunch of language-specific config
files, with English probably being one of them.

--
DaveA