n00b question on spacing

Gary Herron gherron at digipen.edu
Fri Jun 21 18:26:07 EDT 2013

On 06/21/2013 02:17 PM, Yves S. Garret wrote:
> Hi, I have a question about breaking up really long lines of code in
> Python.
>
> I have the following line of code:
> log.msg("Item wrote to MongoDB database %s/%s"
> %(settings['MONGODB_DB'], settings['MONGODB_COLLECTION']),
> level=log.DEBUG, spider=spider)
>
> Given the fact that it goes off very far to the right on my screen is
> not terribly
> pleasing to my eyes (and can be rude for other developers).
>
> I was thinking of splitting it up like so:
> log.msg("Item wrote to MongoDB database %s/%s"
>   %(settings['MONGODB_DB'], settings['MONGODB_COLLECTION']),
>   level=log.DEBUG, spider=spider)
>
> Is this ok?  Are there any rules in Python when it comes to breaking
> up long lines of
> code?

This is how I'd do it:  (And it's *FAR* clearer -- You win no points for
clarity by having it all in one statement.)

fmt  = "Item wrote to MongoDB database %s/%s"
msg = fmt % (settings['MONGODB_DB'],
                          settings['MONGODB_COLLECTION'])
log.msg(msg, level=log.DEBUG, spider=spider)

Gary Herron

--
Dr. Gary Herron
Department of Computer Science