n00b question on spacing

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 07:19:20 EDT 2013

On 2013-06-25 01:22, Mark Janssen wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 4:48 PM, alex23 <wuwei23 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 23/06/2013 3:43 AM, Mark Janssen wrote:
>>>
>>> There was a recent discussion about this (under "implicit string
>>> concatenation").  It seems this is a part of the python language
>>> specification that was simply undefined.
>>

>> It's part of the language reference, not an accidental artifact:
>> http://docs.python.org/2/reference/lexical_analysis.html#string-literal-concatenation
>
> When I say "specification", I mean "specified in the formal notation"
> (BNF, etc).

There is quite a bit of Python's lexical analysis that is specified in places
other than the formal notation. That does not mean it is undefined. It is well
defined in the lexer code and the documentation. You suggest that a "rule
probably should be added to the lexer to make this explicit." That is not
necessary. The rule is already there.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."