Default Value

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 16:27:57 EDT 2013

On Friday, June 21, 2013 2:20:22 PM UTC-5, Neil Cerutti wrote:
> Rick, it's not a wart, It's a gotcha. The reason it's a
> gotcha is this: In order to predict what will happen
> correctly, you have to have mastered three separate Python
> concepts.
>
> 1. How name-binding works.
> 2. How argument passing works, i.e., via name-binding.
> 3. When default arguments are evaluated.
> 4. The Python object model.

I understand all these concepts in a Python context quite
well, but understanding a PyWart is no validation for it's
continued existence.

You probably understand the common cold quite well. If you
do you'll wash your hands before eating, and avoid exposure
to sick people.

 THAT'S CALLED A WORKAROUND!

But disease is not yet fully under human control, we are
forced to used the workaround. Whereas, languages are. So
designing a language poorly and then getting upset because
people don't praise your clunky work-around is ludicrous.

 Psst: THE PROBLEM IS SELF-INDUCED!

Mankind, the only creature dumb enough to self-induce his
own hardships -- somewhere a higher intelligence must be
laughing... or crying, who knows. *sigh*