Default Value

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 14:15:21 EDT 2013

On Jun 20, 10:57 pm, Ian Kelly <ian.g.ke... at gmail.com> wrote:
> If
> the goal is indeed to make the the functions more functional, then the
> proper solution would be to keep the binding early but just disallow
> mutable defaults altogether -- which is tricky to achieve in Python,
> so we simply emulate it with the advice "don't use mutable function
> defaults".

Nicely put.  "Imperative programming is a bad idea; FP is a good idea"
is an attractive religious dogma.
When put into practice with full religious zeal, we then need
something like monads to make realistic programming possible.
Which then becomes a case of "remedy worse than disease".

Which is why I prefer to keep FP in the limbo region between ideology
and technology