Beginner Question: 3D Models

andrewblundon at gmail.com andrewblundon at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 22:47:34 EDT 2013

Hi there,

Sorry for the complete beginner question but I thought the readers here might be able to provide me with some guidance.

I've done some programming with Visual Basic and VBA plus a little PHP, CSS and HTML.  I'm looking at developing a program for work that can be distributed to others (i.e. and exe file).  The application would open various dialogue boxes and ask the user for input and eventually perform mathematical calculations on the input.  From what I've read Python would have no trouble with this.

However, for one part of the program I'd like to be able to create a 3D model based on the user input.  The model would be very basic consisting of a number of lines and objects.  We have 3D models of each component within our CAD system so it would be great if we could utilize those models.

Most of the 3D graphic capabilities I've seen seem to center around either gaming or mathematical plotting.  Are there any capabilities to import existing CAD geometry, arrange the components in particular 3D coordinates in space and then view the results in some sort of 3D viewer?  Ideally the user would then be able to zoom in and orbit around looking at the model.

Is this possible?  Is Python the right language?

Thanks
AB