Pattern Search Regular Expression

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jun 15 06:55:34 EDT 2013

On 15/06/2013 11:24, Denis McMahon wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 10:05:01 +0000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 02:42:55 -0700, subhabangalore wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Group,
>>>
>>> I am trying to search the following pattern in Python.
>>>
>>> I have following strings:
>>>
>>>   (i)"In the ocean" (ii)"On the ocean" (iii) "By the ocean" (iv) "In
>>>   this group" (v) "In this group" (vi) "By the new group"
>>>
>>> I want to extract from the first word to the last word, where first
>>> word and last word are varying.
>>>
>>> I am looking to extract out:
>>>    (i) the (ii) the (iii) the (iv) this (v) this (vi) the new
>>>
>>> The problem may be handled by converting the string to list and then
>>> index of list.
>>
>> No need for a regular expression.
>>
>> py> sentence = "By the new group"
>> py> words = sentence.split()
>> py> words[1:-1]
>> ['the', 'new']
>>
>> Does that help?
>
> I thought OP wanted:
>
> words[words[0],words[-1]]
>
> But that might be just my caffeine deprived misinterpretation of his
> terminology.

 >>> sentence = "By the new group"
 >>> words = sentence.split()
 >>> words[words[0],words[-1]]
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: list indices must be integers, not tuple

So why would the OP want a TypeError?  Or has caffeine deprivation
affected your typing skills? :)

--
"Steve is going for the pink ball - and for those of you who are
watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green." Snooker

Mark Lawrence