Debugging memory leaks

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Jun 15 07:23:57 EDT 2013

rusi <rustompmody at gmail.com> writes:

> On Jun 15, 5:16 am, Ben Finney <ben+pyt... at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > Is a web browser a “typical desktop app”? A filesystem browser? An
> > instant messenger? A file transfer application? A podcatcher? All of
> > those typically run for months at a time on my desktop.
> >
> > Any memory leak in any of those is going to cause trouble, please
> > hunt them all down with fire and exterminate with prejudice.
>
> Oh well -- I guess I am an old geezer who shuts my machine when I am
> done!

As do I. And when I power on the machine, it resumes exactly where it
left off: with the exact same contents of memory as when I pressed the
Suspend button.

That is, the memory leak will continue to accumulate as the run time of
the process continues.

> Yeah I know -- not so good for the disk though its good for the
> planet!

You can have both: a continuous session, and stop consuming power while
not using your machine.

--
 \     “It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to |
  `\    persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” —Carl |