Version Control Software

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Thu Jun 13 18:24:23 EDT 2013

On Jun 13, 2013 10:17 AM, "Grant Edwards" <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 2013-06-13, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > cutems93 <ms2597 at cornell.edu> writes:
> >
> >> I am looking for an appropriate version control software for python
> >> development, and need professionals' help to make a good decision.
> >
> >> Currently I am considering four software: git, SVN, CVS, and
> >> Mercurial.
> >
> > These days there is no good reason to use CVS nor Subversion for new
> > projects. They are not distributed (the D in DVCS), and they have
> > specific design flaws that often cause insidious problems with common
> > version control workflows. As a salient example, branching and merging
> > are so painful with these tools that many users have learned the
> > terrible habit of never doing it at all.
>
> I agree that branch/merge handling in svn is primitive compared to git
> (haven't used hg enough to comment).
>
> The last time we made the choice (4-5 years ago), Windows support for
> get, bzr, and hg was definitely lacking compared to svn.  The lack of
> something like tortoisesvn for hg/git/bzr was a killer.  It looks like
> the situation has improved since then, but I'd be curious to hear from
> people who do their development on Windows.

There's a TortoiseHg now that works well. http://tortoisehg.bitbucket.org

I haven't used it very much, but github has released a git client for
Windows.  The underlying library is the same one Microsoft uses for the
Visual Studio git integration, so I assume it's fairly robust at this point.
http://windows.github.com