Version Control Software

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun Jun 16 01:20:29 EDT 2013

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 14:13:13 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:

> I didn't think there would be that much difference, tbh. Mainly, I'm
> just seeing cpython as not being 200MB of history, or so I'd thought.
> Pike has ~30K commits (based on 'git log --oneline|wc -l'); CPython has
> roughly 80K (based on 'hg log|grep changeset|wc -l' - there's likely an
> easier way but I don't know Mercurial). So yeah, okay, it's been doing
> more. But I still don't see 200MB in that. Seems a lot of content.

If you're bringing in the *entire* CPython code base, as shown here:

http://hg.python.org/

keep in mind that it includes the equivalent of four independent
implementations:

- CPython 2.x
- CPython 3.x
- Stackless
- Jython

plus various other bits and pieces.

Plus, no offence intended at Pike which I'm sure is an awesome language,
but it may not be quite as much active development as Python... as you
point out yourself, there are nearly three times as many commits to
CPython as to Pike, which coincidentally (or not) corresponds to the
CPython repo being nearly three times as large as the Pike repo.

--
Steven