Version Control Software

Tim Delaney timothy.c.delaney at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 17:49:12 EDT 2013

On 16 June 2013 01:29, Giorgos Tzampanakis <giorgos.tzampanakis at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 2013-06-15, Roy Smith wrote:
>
> Also, is working without connection to the server such big an issue? One
> would expect that losing access to the central server would indicate
> significant problems that would impact development anyway.

I work almost 100% remotely (I chose to move back to a country town). Most
of the time I have a good internet connection. But sometimes my clients are
in other countries (I'm in Australia, my current client is in the US) and
the VPN is slow or doesn't work (heatwaves have taken down their systems a
few times). Sometimes I'm on a train going to Sydney and mobile internet is
pretty patchy much of the way. Sometimes my internet connection dies - we
had a case where someone put a backhoe through the backhaul and my backup
mobile internet was also useless.

But so long as at some point I can sync the repositories, I can work away
(on things that are not dependent on something new from upstream).

Tim Delaney