Version Control Software

Giorgos Tzampanakis giorgos.tzampanakis at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 11:29:27 EDT 2013

On 2013-06-15, Roy Smith wrote:

>> And that right there is why modern source control systems are
>> distributed, not centralized. It's so much easier with git; we lost
>> our central hub at one point, and another dev and I simply pulled from
>> each other for a bit until we got a new Scaphio online. With
>> centralized version control, that would have basically meant a
>> complete outage until the new box was up.
>>
>> ChrisA
>
> The advantage of DVCS is that everybody has a full copy of the repo.
> The disadvantage of the DVCS is that every MUST have a full copy of the
> repo.  When a repo gets big, you may not want to pull all of that data
> just to get the subtree you need.

Also, is working without connection to the server such big an issue? One
would expect that losing access to the central server would indicate
significant problems that would impact development anyway.

--
Real (i.e. statistical) tennis and snooker player rankings and ratings:
http://www.statsfair.com/