Version Control Software

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Fri Jun 14 16:55:20 EDT 2013

On 06/14/2013 10:24 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2013-06-14, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
>
>> All that being said, it is, as Anssi points out, a horrible, bloated,
>> overpriced, complicated mess which requires teams of specially
>> trained ClearCase admins to run.  In other words, it's exactly the
>> sort of thing big, stupid, Fortune-500 companies buy because the IBM
>> salesperson plays golf with the CIO.
>
> Years ago, I worked at one largish company where a couple of the
> embedded development projects used ClearCase.  The rest of us used CVS
> or RCS or some other cheap commercial systems.  Judging by those
> results, ClearCase requires a full-time administrator for every 10 or
> so users.  The other systems seemed to require almost no regular
> administration, and what was required was handled by the developers
> themselves (mayby a couple hours per month).  The cost of ClearCase
> was also sky-high.

if I remember rightly, it was about two-thousand dollars per seat.  And
the people I saw using it were using XCOPY to copy the stuff they needed
onto their local drives, then disabling the ClearCase service so they
could get some real work done.  Compiles were about 10x slower with the
service active.

Now that was on Windows NT, when Clearcase was first porting from Unix.
  So perhaps things have improved.

--
DaveA