Version Control Software

Rui Maciel rui.maciel at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 08:43:58 EDT 2013

Roy Smith wrote:

> In article <98c13a55-dbf2-46a7-a2aa-8c5f052ff375 at googlegroups.com>,
>  cutems93 <ms2597 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>
>> I am looking for an appropriate version control software for python
>> development, and need professionals' help to make a good decision.
>> Currently I am considering four software: git, SVN, CVS, and Mercurial.
>
> CVS is hopelessly obsolete.  SVN pretty much the same.

I would say that SVN does have its uses, but managing software repositories
isn't one of them due to the wealth of available alternatives out there
which are far better than it.

> Git and Mercurial are essentially identical in terms of features; which
> you like is as much a matter of personal preference as anything else.
> Pick one and learn it.

I agree, but there is a feature Git provides right out of the box which is
extremelly useful but Mercurial supports only as a non-standard module: the
git stash feature.

Rui Maciel