My son wants me to teach him Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 13:12:01 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 10:02 PM, Anssi Saari <as at sci.fi> wrote:
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I have tab completion. Beat that, GUI.
>
> Decent GUIs *have* tab completion. Bad GUIs don't.
>
> Oh wait. Is a GUI with tab completion a GUI at all or more of a weird
> ass hybrid? What about a CLI that pops up a menu for completions?

Hmm. Not sure what you mean there. The nearest I can think of is the
way the file dialog (under Debian Wheezy + Xfce + SciTE; no idea who's
responsible, probably Xfce) will fill in directory components as I
type. But that's functioning almost exclusively as CLI style; I type
in parts of the path and it does things. To take advantage of tab
completion, I ignore the GUI-style of "point to the thing you want and
click". There's no real way for point-and-click to work with tab
completion.

ChrisA