My son wants me to teach him Python

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Thu Jun 13 21:05:25 EDT 2013

On 12Jun2013 21:47, Rick Johnson <rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
| On Wednesday, June 12, 2013 11:08:44 PM UTC-5, Chris Angelico wrote:
| > No. Definitely not. Programming does NOT begin with a GUI. It begins
| > with something *simple*, so you're not stuck fiddling around with the
| > unnecessary. On today's computers, that usually means console I/O
| > (actually console output, with console input coming along much later).
|
| Chris, you're a dinosaur, only thing is, somebody forgot to tell you.
|
| *Everything* these days revolves around graphical interfaces.

Oh good.

Please communicate entirely in animations from now on. This text
medium you're using is crude, low bandwidth, and not sparkly enough.

But regrettably, I think Rick may be on the money here. All children
want to write games. I did, my friend's son did, etc. But by starting
with something functional but crude, he will be forced to encounter
the basic tools of coding anyway.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

This is not my farewell to you. My only wish is to fight as a soldier
in the battle of ideas. I shall continue to write under the heading of
'Reflections by comrade Fidel.' It will be just another weapon you can
count on. Perhaps my voice will be heard. I shall be careful.
- Fidel Castro Ruz, 18feb2008